East Midlands GatewayCategory: Civils & Infrastructure
East Midlands Gateway is a three-year project to create a Strategic Rail Freight Interchange (SRFI) at the heart of the United Kingdom’s transport network.
Winvic were contracted by Roxhill Developments and SEGRO Plc to build a highways infrastructure and undertake extensive earthworks in the fulfilment of Contracts One and Two for the rail freight terminal and distribution park adjacent to East Midlands Airport.
Innovative engineering solutions, and an increasing use of digital systems, have been crucial in overcoming the project’s complex challenges, while the involvement of many interfaces have made our collaborative approach an essential commodity.
The first two contracts provide the basis from which further stages of the scheme will establish an SRFI by 2019, one linking road and rail networks, providing one of the country’s largest logistics centres, and improving the highways in the area.
As Principal Contractor for the initial phases of a Nationally Significant Infrastructure Project (NSIP), we have demonstrated our capacity to deliver Civils & Infrastructure on this scale, which is of huge importance to the country’s economic growth.
With infrastructure works ongoing, Winvic has recently commenced works on the first four development plots of the 6 million sq ft of logistics space:
- Plot 1 – 1.3m sq ft fulfilment centre
- Plot 2 – 600,000 sq ft distribution centre including 35m high bay facility
- Plot 3 – 500,000 sq ft distribution centre
- Plot 4 – 163,000 sq ft distribution centre
Take a closer look
Watch our new drone footage to take a bird’s eye view of the site.
Watch the progress on site via our timelapse cameras on Winvic Live.
East Midlands Gateway in Numbers
- 6 million ft2 of development plots for storage and distribution warehouses
- 6 million m3 of plateau, screening and topsoiling earthworks
- 2-metre rise in the level of a newly laid section of the A453
- New rail freight terminal to accommodate up to 16 trains a day
- Earthworks cut up to 25m below existing level for rail freight terminal
- 7km private rail link to Castle Donington branch freight only line
- 105,000m3 of earth moved in any one week at peak of earthworks programme
- 65 pieces of machinery operating on site any one point
- 126,040m2 of new surfaced pavement
- 2 new bridges; one with 45 degree skew
- 163km of new services
- 1 km of new one-metre diameter ferro concrete pipework in the diversion of Derwent Valley Aqueduct (DVA), serving 600,000 customers in the East Midlands
- 30 service diversions
- 8 metre deep drainage installed
- Over 300,000 tons of aggregates
- Winvic Team Collects Best Health and Safety in Construction Award
- New Off-slip Opens at J24 of M1
- OMG EMG!
- Site visit provides ‘real life experience’ for French apprentices
- Institution of Civil Engineers impressed with progress at Midlands Gateway
- East Midlands Gateway on BBC One East Midlands Today
- Digital engineering under the spotlight for President’s visit