Southgates Student Accommodation, LeicesterCategory: Multi Room
Winvic were appointed by Viridis Real Estate to design and build this award-winning, high quality student living scheme at the heart of Leicester’s academic quarter.
This multi room project comprised the redevelopment of the former Southgates bus depot in the historic heart of Leicester, into four striking student accommodation blocks set around a shared courtyard, providing a central focus of excellent amenity space.
Along with 567 student rooms in a combination of self-contained studios and clusters, the buildings incorporate the iconic former bus depot entrance arch and include an on site gym, cinema, games room, study areas, meeting rooms, social lounges and managed laundry.
The development received glowing recognition from the Considerate Constructors Scheme winning a silver in the National Site Awards for measures to be more considerate towards local neighbourhoods and the environment. The project also scooped the prize for Large Residential Scheme of the Year at the 2017 ProCon Awards.
As part of ongoing local historic explorations, the University of Leicester Archaeological Services carried out a 4-month dig on the site of two of the accommodation blocks. This required an ability to accommodate the dig and remain sensitive to the site whilst ensuring that construction deadlines were met. Discoveries of ancient Roman building foundations and the city’s medieval area were uncovered beneath Block A and Block B of the development. The development is also very close to where Richard III was discovered.
Take a closer look
Watch our drone footage for a bird’s eye view of this striking development.
- Four separate five and six storey blocks, each of different size and design
- 7800 sq m site footprint
- EPC A rating
- Electric heating, hot water supply and water storage tanks serviced from district heating mains
- Composite deck, metal deck and 140 mm concrete slab flooring for each level
- Extensive pre construction remediation works including deep site-wide clearance
- 120 cubic metres of cellular storage attenuation crating
- 600 CFA piles
- Private one-way road and exterior lighting scheme
- Extensive landscaping
- Combined heat and power system