The Helix Student Accommodation, BirminghamCategory: Multi Room
Client:Aston Spring Developments
Situated on the edge of The University of Birmingham Selly Oak campus, this multi room development, operated by Universal Student Living, consists of a mix of 267 apartment style rooms (with shared lounges and kitchens) and self contained studio apartments.
Spread over 8 floors along Aston Webb Boulevard to 3 floors facing Bristol Road, the development also houses study areas, a gym, a cinema room and a shared laundry facility.
Works were carried out within restrictions associated with working in the context of a busy road interchange on all sides of the development, with live carriageways and an operational garage.
- 267 bed student accommodation block
- 8 kitchen lounges
- Steel framed construction founded over 165 CFA piles
- Structural framing system
- Beam and block construction to ground floor
- Composite metal deck construction to upper floors
- Outside clad in a variety of materials with brickwork, insulated cladding panels, windows with insulated panels and perforated brass panels, and curtain walling
- Active street frontage of common room & study rooms to enhance the high street
- Welfare facilities for residents which include a gymnasium, cinema, student services and laundry services
- Vertical brise soleil
- Internal courtyard to building for residents
- Fire strategy. OAV’s and mechanical smoke riser
- S278 works
- Demolition of former music studio and 5 residential dwellings
- Asbestos removal