The Helix Student Accommodation, BirminghamCategory: Multi Room
Situated on the edge of The University of Birmingham Selly Oak campus, this multi room development, operated by Universal Student Living, consists of a mix of 267 apartment style rooms (with shared lounges and kitchens) and self contained studio apartments.
Spread over eight floors along Aston Webb Boulevard to three floors facing Bristol Road, the development also houses study areas, a gym, a cinema room and a shared laundry facility.
Works were carried out within restrictions associated with working in the context of a busy road interchange on all sides of the development, with live carriageways and an operational garage.
- 267 bed student accommodation block
- 8 kitchen lounges
- Steel framed construction founded over 165 CFA piles
- Structural framing system
- Beam and block construction to ground floor
- Composite metal deck construction to upper floors
- Outside clad in a variety of materials with brickwork, insulated cladding panels, windows with insulated panels and perforated brass panels, and curtain walling
- Active street frontage of common room & study rooms to enhance the high street
- Welfare facilities for residents which include a gymnasium, cinema, student services and laundry services
- Vertical brise soleil
- Internal courtyard to building for residents
- Fire strategy. OAV’s and mechanical smoke riser
- S278 works
- Demolition of former music studio and 5 residential dwellings
- Asbestos removal