A three-year project to create a Strategic Rail Freight Interchange (SRFI) at the heart of the United Kingdom’s transport network. Winvic was contracted by SEGRO Plc to build a highways infrastructure and undertake extensive earthworks in the fulfilment of Contracts One and Two of one of the largest infrastructure developments in Europe, a new rail freight terminal and distribution park adjacent to East Midlands Airport.
At a glance
- Project value: £66.7m
- Client: Segro Plc
- Architect: PHP Architects
- Engineer: BWB / Hydrock / Cass Hayward
- Programme: Sequenced
- Completion: December 2019
Innovative engineering solutions, and an increasing use of digital systems, have been crucial in overcoming the project’s complex challenges, while the involvement of many interfaces have made our collaborative approach an essential commodity.
The first two contracts provided the basis from which further stages of the scheme established the SRFI by the end of 2019, one linking road and rail networks, providing one of the country’s largest logistics centres, and improving the highways in the area.
Key elements of the infrastructure programme included a new route connecting the site to the M1 via a bridge over the motorway, a public bus terminal, 126,000m2 carriageway construction, as well as the remediation of 32,000 sq m land and 322,000m3 earthwork fill.
As Principal Contractor for the initial phases of a Nationally Significant Infrastructure Project (NSIP), we have demonstrated our capacity to deliver Civils & Infrastructure on this scale, which is of huge importance to the country’s economic growth.
With the infrastructure programme including the 50 acre Strategic Rail Freight Interchange (SRFI) terminal now complete, Winvic has also completed works on the first five development plots of the 6 million sq ft of logistics space:
- Amazon, Plot 1 – 1.3m sq ft fulfilment centre (including 2 storey mezzanine) – completed April 2019
- XPO Logistics, Plot 2 – 600,000 sq ft distribution centre including 35m high bay facility – completed April 2019
- Shop Direct, Plot 3 – 500,000 sq ft distribution centre – completed September 2019
- Kuehne & Nagel, Plot 4 – 195,000 sq ft distribution centre – completed March 2019
- Games Workshop, Plot 6 – 177,500 sq ft distribution facility – completed July 2020
Following on from the successful delivery of the first five modern industrial units, Winvic has commenced earthworks for the sixth plateau.
6 million m³ of plateau, screening and topsoiling earthworks
50-acre rail freight terminal
700 people working on site
East Midlands Gateway in Numbers
- 6 million sq ft of development plots for storage and distribution warehouses
- 6 million m3 of plateau, screening and topsoiling earthworks
- 2-metre rise in the level of a newly laid section of the A453
- New rail freight terminal to accommodate up to 16 trains a day
- Earthworks cut up to 25m below existing level for rail freight terminal
- 7km private rail link to Castle Donington branch freight only line
- 105,000m3 of earth moved in any one week at peak of earthworks programme
- 65 pieces of machinery operating on site any one point
- 126,040m2 of new surfaced pavement
- 2 new bridges; one with 45 degree skew
- 163km of new services
- 1 km of new one-metre diameter ferro concrete pipework in the diversion of Derwent Valley Aqueduct (DVA), serving 600,000 customers in the East Midlands
- 30 service diversions
- 8 metre deep drainage installed
- Over 300,000 tons of aggregates
Share this project: