On-site works centred around the construction of a new spine road to facilitate the Grade A logistics/industrial units and link them to Sywell Road, only half a mile from the A509 and within fast access to the A45, A14 and M1 motorway. In addition, bulk earthworks of 500,000m3 were undertaken to establish the first two plateaus – Zone A 435,000 sq ft and Zone B 590,250 sq ft – on the east side of the park, with the west to follow as part of future development.
At a glance
- Project value: £20.3m
- Client: Prologis
- Architect: Stephen George & Partners
- Engineer: Peter Brett Associates
- Programme: 42 weeks
- Completion: March 2017
On Site Infrastructure and Services
A spine road and access roundabout were constructed to connect with the new traffic island on Sywell Road, extending vehicle and pedestrian access 750m into the site.
The road construction included street lighting and signage, as well as deep drainage (storm & foul) and utilities to service future developments within the scheme.
The services – gas, water, electricity and communications – were all intentionally installed at deeper levels to provide flexibility with plot access arrangements, thus enabling Prologis to meet any potential tenant requirements.
Three balancing ponds were built to accommodate surface water from future developments and the new highway drainage.
To support Zone A, a 379,000 sq. ft. pre-let to Yusen Logistics, a Gabion retaining wall was erected as part of the ground enabling works.
The third-party works consisted of several agreements which improved the local area and provided essential services for the industrial development.
Section 278 – Sywell Road Improvements.
- Upgrades to the existing highway by widening and resurfacing 700m of carriageway
- Construction of a new roundabout on the A509 with an 85m long sheet piled retaining wall
- New kerb lines, signage, road markings, street lighting and drainage
- Construction of new footway/cycleway enabling pedestrian access via Sywell Road
Section 278 – Rutherford Drive
- Construction of new footway/cycleway crossing to connect the new footway on the eastern boundary
- Storm and foul drainage improvements
Section 38 Onsite & Section 38 Borough Council of Wellingborough
- Multiple agreement for construction of new footway/cycleway connecting Sywell Road and Rutherford Drive
- Central corridor of the park providing further pedestrian access to all plots
500,000 m3 bulk earthworks
Construction of a new spine road
£20.3m project value
Section 104 – Anglian Water
- Construction of an adoptable foul pumping station
- 800m of gravity foul drainage
- 1km rising main to facilitate site waste adoptable by Anglian Water
- Anglian Water – strategic 950mm water main
- Western Power – high voltage electricity (11kva and 33kva underground, 33kva overhead cables)
- BT, Fibrenet – including copper and fibre optic
Share this project: