The SusCon (Sustainable Construction) Academy is an exemplar facility for both the promotion of excellence in construction learning and skills, and a demonstration project for innovative construction methodologies and technologies. The project was a catalyst for development within the Thames Gateway and specifically the Science Park element of The Bridge site masterplan.
At a glance
- Project value: £6.5m
- Client: Dartford Borough Council & Prologis Developments Ltd
- Architect: Stephen George & Partners
- Engineer: Rogers Leask
- Programme: 48 weeks
- Completion: June 2014
- BREEAM: Very Good
Constructed on a brownfield site, the SusCon Academy has achieved BREEAM Outstanding and consists of:
- Two steel frame workshop areas.
- Timber frame breakout area with seating and internet hub.
- Concrete frame teaching blocks with 10 classrooms, library, kitchen and café.
- Four brown roofs.
- Enviro-block wall, lime rendered.
- PV cells, solar thermal panels.
- Aluminium timber composite curtain walled windows.
- One side, insulated elevation timber cassettes with timber cladding, opposite side, baumit render
Winner of highest BREEAM rating in 2012
Outstanding BREEAM rating
Share this project: