Winvic Construction Ltd, a leading main contractor specialising in turnkey solutions for industrial, build-to-rent, student accommodation and commercial projects, were announced as Best Health and Safety in Construction at the Safety and Health Excellence Awards on 10 April 2019. A team of Winvic’s project staff and HSEQ employees collected the award, which was presented by comedian Sean Lock and Gareth Poole from the category sponsor, Turner and Townsend.
The category was new for 2019 and aimed to recognise a construction project that has an exemplary health and safety record. Phase 2 – covering the civils and infrastructure elements of the 700 acre development, SEGRO Logistic Park East Midlands Gateway (SLPEMG), proved to be just that.
“The three year, Nationally Significant Infrastructure Project comprises earthworks, remediation, infrastructure, civil engineering and 6 million sq. ft. modern industrial warehousing adjacent to East Midlands Airport and the M1. Winvic employed a coordinated and innovative approach to key challenges to safely deliver Phase 2, one of the largest civils and infrastructure, multi-agency developments in Europe.”
- Phase 2 of SLPEMG had no reportable incidents in 2018 and just one in 2017 – no small achievement for a site that facilitated over 700 operatives working on site during peak times.
- Institution of Occupational Safety and Health (IOSH) visited the site in December 2018 – the leading body wanted to observe Winvic and SEGRO’s best practice.
- Highway Component Health and Safety files were submitted within just 12 weeks with the scheme taken into maintenance by Highways England (HE) – an unprecedented, short timescale for such a complex and colossal scheme.
- The project has brought about transformative health and safety changes for Winvic and companies within the supply chain – for example, 100 per cent of subcontractors use tool tethers, chin straps and the majority have adopted all of Winvic’s elevated processes and standards.
Adrian Bracken, Senior HSEQ Manager at Winvic who is located full-time at the SLPEMG site, said: “While we do what we do to ultimately make people’s lives safer and healthier, it’s a great feeling to be recognised for our work. It was, and continues to be, a team effort between Winvic, SEGRO, suppliers, third-party stakeholders and local communities, but we really have achieved a one-team approach to looking out for each other, regardless of employer or the job at hand. We take an inclusive approach to subcontractor training and just do the right thing, regardless of industry patterns. That’s the Winvic Way.”
Mark Skelton, Project Manager on the infrastructure and rail phases of SLPEMG, added: “We took a fresh approach to health, safety and wellbeing on this giant project, and having Adrian working as a dedicated, on-site HSEQ resource has allowed us to take care and welfare to the next level. Whether it’s a daily interface with Highways England to mitigate risks, utilising an innovative double central reserve crash barrier as a first in the UK or arranging daily transport for a local partially sighted lady when a cycleway was closed, we take an inclusive approach and are result focussed. I’m very proud of my team and am looking forward to completing the project later in the year.”
Kate Bedson, Senior Development Director for National Logistics at SEGRO, said: “Health and Safety is a high priority for SEGRO and it’s great to see Winvic being recognised for this achievement.”
– ENDS –
Notes to Editor
- Drone footage of SLPEMG can be viewed here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrS9e9z85Os
- Drone footage of the completed highways works at SLPEMG can be viewed here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyQEixBsmVQ
In October 2018, the civils and infrastructure works were completed:
- 32,000 vertical fin drains used in compaction to extract moisture and eliminate settlement differential risk
- 126,000m2 carriageway constructed including M1 off and on-slips and a road bridge
- Major service installations and diversions, and 322,000m3 of earthwork fill executed
By the end of September, Winvic will have completed construction of almost 3 million sq ft of modern warehousing plus office space, across four plots:
- Plot 1 – 1.3 million sq ft fulfilment centre, 200m wide and 299m long, designed with removable mezzanine levels
- Plot 2 – 638,000 sq ft modern warehouse with a 35m high bay and four temperature controlled storage chambers
- Plot 3 – 898,000 sq ft distribution centre with a five span portal frame and 3 bespoke mezzanine levels that support automated conveyor systems
- Plot 4 – 196,000 sq ft warehouse/production unit with an internal steel cantilever link bridge and external cantilevered canopy
The Strategic Rail Freight Interchange and associated railway works will be complete in September 2019:
- The only facility in the UK capable of handling 775m freight trains direct from Europe via Eurotunnel
Winvic has also been shortlisted in two CN Award categories – Contractor of the Year and Safety and Wellbeing Excellence Project for SEGRO Logistics Park East Midlands Gateway (SLPEMG) – the winners will be announced in the summer.
Image: Winvic’s project and HSEQ team (Mark Skelton, Graham Snow, Adrian Bracken, Gary Hardwick, Paul Kellock, Dan Barker) collecting the award presented by comedian Sean Lock and Gareth Poole from the category sponsor, Turner and Townsend.